- This event has passed.
Nakashima Inspired Sitting Bench / Coffee Table
October 28, 2019 @ 8:00 am - November 1, 2019 @ 6:00 pm
Location – Marc Adams School of Woodworking
In this five day workshop you will construct a beautiful sitting bench/coffee table using traditional Eastern timber framing joinery, which is known for its integral strength utilizing locking joinery. This class will challenge and improve your hand tool and machine skills. Taeho will discuss the concept and layout of the joints, as well as the proper technique of Eastern hand tools used in the class.
At the end of the class you will have a greater understanding of joinery beyond the basic dovetail, and mortise and tenon. The table/bench, with the exposed mortise and fist tenon with bridel lap joint on top, will take your woodworking to a new level.
The approximate size – 60”L × 20”W × 18”H
What you’ll learn:
- A brief history of traditional Eastern and Western Timber Framing
- Skills and technique in the use, care of Eastern handsaws and chisel
- How to properly utilize a wood’s grain
- How to expand the lifespan of the wood in furniture design and building
- Marking and layout
- Routing with both handheld and a router table
- Use and preparation of live edge slabs